The Refugee Appeals Tribunal (‘The Tribunal’) has an obligation pursuant to the Refugee Act 1996 (as amended) to take all practicable steps to ensure that the identity of the Applicant is kept confidential. Section 19 (1) of the Refugee Act 1996 (as amended) states
“The Commissioner, the Board, the Tribunal, the Minister for Justice and Law Reform, and the Minister for Foreign Affairs and their respective officers shall take all practicable steps to ensure that the identity of the Applicants is kept confidential”.
Please read Section 19 of the Act carefully and accept the Terms and Conditions of the Agreement below.
Access to the Tribunal’s Online Decisions Archive shall be granted only on acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of this Confidentiality Agreement
1. I have read and understand Section 19 of the Refugee Act 1996 (as amended).
2. I confirm that access to previous decisions of the Refugee Appeals Tribunal is being sought solely for bona fide legal research in respect of appeal applications made to the Tribunal.
3. I undertake to treat any and all Tribunal decisions as confidential, and not to make them publicly available or accessible in any way, except with the prior written consent of the Chairperson of the Tribunal.
4. I shall limit the disclosure of the decisions solely to those who have a legitimate bona fide right of access to Tribunal decisions in relation to valid appeals application made to the Tribunal, and I shall ensure that the obligation of confidentiality shall be conveyed to these third parties.
5. I undertake to use appropriate efforts to keep decisions secure, and shall take all practicable steps to ensure that the identity of the Applicants is kept confidential.
6. I shall notify the Tribunal of any breaches that may result in the disclosure of previous decisions of the Tribunal to unauthorised persons.
7. This Confidentiality Agreement is effective from the date of acceptance